One of the niyamas in the yogic system santosha means contentment , an acceptance of all things in our lives that is all encompassing.
Santosha arises within the yoga practice as a wanting nothing more and lacking nothing. We are all whole , we are all as we are perfect in the soul. Our modern life and this world that we live in can make as think that we do not have enough , we should have more, earn more money, have better jobs, be more advanced at our practice – when yoga says we know and have what we need and nothing else.
Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras says to us
“From contentment results unparalleled happiness”
So how can we conserve the happiness and contentment that we have…….
- try this meditation when you feel like your contentment is waning
- choose a comfortable seat, try sitting upright on the chair close your eyes
- listen and observe your breath , let it become even and smooth
- let the mind begin to focus on the here and now and your body
- let go of any tension within your body and relax
- bring to mind now a situation in your life when you felt unparalleled happiness
- let those feelings flood into your mind, observing the emotions that come up for you
- bring your mind to that time and recognize how fortunate you are in your life
- think of all the wonderful people who share your life with you
- think of all the wonderful opportunites you have in your life to be content
- cultivate acceptance now in your life at this moment
- breathe a little deeper and then slowly open your eyes to this moment of contentment
Copyright © 2013 Santosha Yoga