Relaxation is the state of well being you experience when you stop creating tension. Stress is the body’s response to any change, whether pleasant or unpleasant.
The secret to managing stress is rather than negative stress which turns inward and causes problems, it energises you to act as a springboard for personal growth.
We have a series of indicators physical, mental, emotional and behavioural which show us if stress is present.
Look at the list below and if you are struggling with more than 3 you could have a problem with stress.
- Increased muscular tension
- Elevated pulse
- High blood pressure
- Cold hands and feet
- Changes in appetite
- Tension headaches, back pain, dark circles under eyes
- Inability to concentrate
- Decreased performance tendency to make mistakes
- Increased forgetfulness
- Excessive daydreaming
- Anxiety and depression
- Emotional outbursts crying
- Hostile behaviour
- Nervous laughter
- Sudden changes in work habits
- Insomnia and lethargy
- Avoiding work and commitments
- Compulsive behaviours shopping, cleaning etc.
90% of all illnesses are stress related, you can begin to feel less in control of your life so how can you get help or help yourself. This can all be reversed by learning to relax.
- Do something you enjoy hobbies etc
- Walk in nature
- Listen to calming music
- Spend time with your friends
- Take a regular yoga class to learn stress reducing breathing and relaxation exercises
Taking 10/ 20 minutes of relaxation can clear the negative effects of stress. There are 1,440 minutes in every day , so 10 minutes is a goal that can be achieved. Make time for yourself.
Copyright © 2013 Santosha Yoga